The development profession has continuous attention to technical excellence and good design to enhance agility.
Attention to proven development practices
Using design patterns and applying development principles like SOLID, greatly improves the readability and maintainability of the software. Doing this properly requires knowledge of these patterns and principles at first, followed by a lot of practice to make it a natural way of working. Creating clean code is an art, which requires methodical work.
Skills are used to aid the team
Since test automation is needed to provide a sustainable flow of development, the value of test automation is high. Knowledge is shared on the development practices to keep this automation readable and maintainable. Additionally, test automation is considered while creating the product, to enable testability of the product (e.g. adding unique IDs to buttons, fields, etc.).
Levels and check points for development profession
The levels for Development profession are typified as follows:
- Forming: Proficient in development
- Norming: Focus on working in a multidisciplinary team
- Performing: Clean code is delivered
Please find the checkpoints below.
|1. Developers have received specific training and/or have sufficient experience in the field of development
2. Developers can explain the rationale behind design patterns
3. Developer functions are part of the organizations career development
4. Developers can explain their added value
|1. Testing activities are part of the development job
2. Developers have received training(s) regarding soft skills
3. Developers provide support to (functional) test automation
4. Developers apply the boy scout rule (leave code cleaner than they found it)
|1. Developers know and apply development principles (SOLID, DRY, …)
2. Developers are proficient in multiple programming languages
3. Developers continuously strive to improve themselves